Woman gives birth to twins on the road in front of First Bank

There have been stories of women who gave birth in unusual situations and places like in an aeroplane, on the way to the farm, in a commercial transport bus, in the market, and so on.
The latest of such must just be the one that happened around 8am on Friday, March 20th the street in front of First Bank at the Apongbon end of Broad Street in which 38-year-old Esther Ami gave birth to twin girls.
Speaking with Oseyiza Oogbodo Blog, Ami recounted what led to her giving birth on the street. “All through the night, I was in pain and I was just waiting for the morning to come so I could go to the hospital. And we were on the way to the hospital and we were in front of First bank when I felt as if I wanted to give birth so I told my sister that was with me that we should just wait a bit.
“Then suddenly, I felt a sort of release in my body and when I reached down with my hand to investigate, I felt I was holding something and I called my sister and said I’m holding something but I don’t know what it is. I didn’t realize then that I was holding the head of a baby.
“Then people around that area and at the bank came out and gathered around me and covered me with clothes and said I should push so that the placenta can come out. I don’t even know how the taxi got there that took me away from there. And I didn’t even know another child was coming after that first one as it took a long time for the second one to come.”
When this reporter then asked her if she wasn’t already aware that she was carrying twins, she said she was from scans already done on her but it took so long for the second one to come and in her condition and considering the situation, she almost thought it was just one coming.
Also speaking with OOB, Taiwo Olowu, the male traditional midwife who has been taking care of Ami and in whose care Ami and her twins are currently, said he thanks God for her safe delivery in her unusual situation.
Olowu, whose midwifery centre is located in Lagos Island, said he has been in midwifery for thirty years and was the one who helped her in the care and delivery of her child, Daniel, that she had before her twins.
According to him, stress was part of what led to Ami going into forced labour. “We always advice pregnant women to avoid stress but Ami is one that doesn’t really rest in the course of going about her daily business and that is what led to her forced labour.
“Now, she and the children are in my care and I’m taking care of them appropriately. When they arrived at my place, I divided their placenta and since we can’t bath for newborn babies like them, we are cleaning them and both they and their mother are doing okay.”
And speaking further about his midwifery achievements, “It’s just God that helps me to be successful in midwifery. I was born into it as my father, Baba Aboki, was also into it. And God also helps me to be able to help barren women become pregnant.
“The funny thing is that it's women in London who come to me most looking for the fruit of the womb. And when they tell me they are seeking to be pregnant, I tell them that I’m not the one who’ll make them pregnant but they have to believe in God and also be ready to take the herbs we’ll prescribe and I thank God that most of them become pregnant.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1