I'm in Malaysia to become an international star -Sunky

Fast-rising model-actor Olasunkanmi Ogunade popularly known as Sunky shocked the entertainment industry with his sudden relocation to Malaysia to study. One of the lead characters of popular soap opera, Two Sides Of A Coin, and also a face of Chivita, he was in the country recently and he told OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG about life in the Asian country. How is life in Malaysia? Well, to start with, Malaysia is a developing country and it’s moving at a very fast pace. It’s a very beautiful country and I am enjoying every bit of it. It can be weird at times but it’s all part of the adventure. Life there is easy as it’s a country where the wellbeing of the citizens comes first. Three square meals a day is guaranteed there. As far as I’m concerned, food is the cheapest thing there. When you wake up, you don’t need to think about what to eat or where. With 10 ringits, you are very okay for the day. There are so many different aspects but I choose to stop here. Food is an important aspect of life and if it can be so affordable, think about the rest. Why did you go to Malaysia and not Europe or America? Right from my early years in the secondary school, I have always loved the Asian part of the world, so I was very happy when the opportunity came. I was shooting a TV commercial in Lagos and during the shoot, one of the oyinbo guys picked interest in me and we got talking, Along the line, I discovered he was from Malaysia. We spoke a lot and that was how it started. God was so merciful that he arranged all and even paid part of the cash. It was like magic but I give God the glory. Tell us about the racism you have experienced or observed. To be honest, racism is on the low side in Malaysia. The only one I have experienced was in the train on my way to the university. There was an empty seat and I attempted to sit on it but a Malaysian guy told me not to sit near him. I was so annoyed and embarrassed, and while we were still arguing, another Malaysian, a woman, told another Malaysian guy to sit on it. I knew they were silly racists. I just stepped back and accepted my faith. Another fact is that they don’t like Nigerians. If any black-skinned person does any bad thing, the first country they mention is Nigeria, even if the individual is from Angola, they would still shout that he’s Nigerian. It can be funny and painful. Even when you make attempt to talk to some pretty Malay girls, the first question they ask is, where are you from? And if you tell them Nigeria, that is the end, they just walk away. But apart from these little experiences, you are free to walk around and live life the way you desire. It’s a cool country. Why do they have attitude to Nigeria? Actually, it’s not all of them. But most of them don’t feel comfortable when you say you are a Nigerian. They believe Nigeria is full of dubious and heartless individuals because most of their girls have been heartbroken by many Nigerian boys. They don’t trust Nigerian boys and they also believe we are capable of doing something weird thing at anytime. On the other hand though, some of them love Nigerians to the bone and they support you even when some people say shit to you in their dialect. Some girls also love Nigerian boys and would do anything to date one. So, I feel the Nigerian likeness depends on the individual and the amount of exposure he or she has got. Some of them even express innermost love for Nigeria. They have read so much about Nigeria and would love to visit one day. So, it’s different strokes for different folks. What do you do over there? I am schooling, modelling and also into photography! I snap pictures up and down. What I mean is, you call when you need me. I work with some night clubs and all! Another thing is, I snap and cover exclusive events here and send to media houses in Nigeria! Modelling is different here and very profitable. I have not done any major job, but I get extra roles here and there, and I am praying and I know God will surprise me. I am hoping on God and I believe with time, He would answer me. Is it that their attitude is preventing you from getting modelling and acting jobs? Not really. The modelling arrangement there is entirely different from Nigeria’s. You need to get an agent that would link you to a company that would always use you for their brand. I’ve gotten an agent and I’ve been attending casting calls but I’ve not gotten the big job but it’s just a matter of time. As for acting, the language is one big barrier. They mostly speak their dialect in their movies, unlike Nigeria where the major language for most films is English. There it is strictly Bahasa Malaysia and you hardly find soap operas or films in English. But sometimes, they call on strictly English speaking actors but the turnout is always mad and scary. But God go do am. But was it sensible for you to leave all your modelling and acting achievements in Nigeria to start afresh there? I specifically decided to upgrade myself. I love entertainment and can never leave it. Due to this fact, I decided to do courses that are in relation to it. I am studying business information system in Malaysia and planning to do a diploma in marketing and Master’s in advertising. I love advertising and I have endless passion for it. I am a natural actor and can always model anytime, any day but you cannot just say you’re an actor without concrete educational achievements. Acting with professional qualifications in other fields will definitely stand you out. I have participated in so many commercials but I just realised at a point that I need to upgrade myself. Anyway, I am still coming back to Nollywood but on a better level and with adequate exposure. What are Nigerians doing over there in Malaysia? Nigerians do loads of stuffs there. From lecturing to club managers, complex owners, actors, models, pastors and it goes on. We have bad eggs and there is nothing we can do about that but there are loads of positive Nigerians there repping Nigeria well to the world. How are Christians treated there, since it's an Islamic nation? They treat Christians appropriately. They don’t condemn religions. Many of them believe in one God disregarding the fact that you are a Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or some other religion. Do they have churches there? Yeah! More than enough churches, but Christianity is on the very low side. We have RCCG, Winners Chapel and so on attended by Nigerians and the locals too.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1