I do only family friendly jokes –Damola Adegboye

Damola Adegboye is one of Nigeria’s finest comedians. In this exclusive interview with VICTOR UDOH, the graduate of Political Science and International Relations, speaks about his passion for comedy and lecturing. Who are you aspiring to be like in the world of comedy, and why? I have a lot of people I admire but I perpetually aspire to be like Saco because of his leadership style. Not necessarily because he is a comedian but because of his approach to the job. What was your growing up like? Growing up was fun. I am from a very lively family. I grew up in Mushin, Lagos, had my primary education in Bosby Day Nursery and Primary School and Tunyo Primary School. I then proceeded to Federal Government College, Ikirun where I had my secondary education, then Osun State University where I had my first degree and the University of Ibadan where I had my Master’s degree in political science. Why did you choose comedy as a career? For me, comedy is an inborn thing. It was initially a hobby, but when people started seeing value in it, it developed into a career because it was converted from a hobby to a product that has monetary value. Can you briefly define your style? Simplicity, elegance, maturity. What is your style signature? I really don’t have a particular one, but you will always see me looking sharp and smart. Apart from comedy, what are the other things you do? I am a lecturer in the same university I came out of as a first class. This made the school authorities retain me as a junior lecturer. So if I’m not doing comedy, I will be lecturing. How do you combine them together? I try as much as possible to marry the both of them together. I have a timetable that I work with, and it has been of good help to me. How do you give back to the society? I try as much as possible to assist the few I can, and also help in charity work. What are your achievements so far? I have been privileged to enjoy some awesome platforms that I can’t count within and outside the country. I’ve been privileged to anchor Babatunde Fashola’s younger brother’s wedding, co-anchored Pastor Poju Oyemade’s wedding, and other high profile weddings. I’ve done a lot of corporate events with reputable national and multinational organizations like KPMG, Union Bank, Stanbic Bank, First Bank, Nestle, UAC Foods, Flour Mills of Nigeria, to mention a few. God has been faithful. One that is dear to me is a comedy performance of an old woman's testimony that went viral. When did you start having passion for comedy? It started from childhood where I used to mimic my teachers at home after school, I see it as inborn thing, and I also I was in my church drama group all these add together make me know I will be a comedian. What happened to you when you were a child that you still remember? A lot of things happened, when I went to visit my cousins and I stood in a colony of soldier ants and I didn’t notice until they were all over me. What is your philosophy of life? Keep doing well at what you know how to do best, be humble and focused; you will rise to where God wants you to be. I also encourage as many as possible to go school. Comedy seems to be the rave now but your education is a lasting legacy that can’t depart from you. I graduated with a first class and I have been doing comedy before I graduated, so it is possible to combine successfully with the help of God. Are you actually enjoying what you do as a comedian? Are you fulfilled? I am enjoying what I do, one of my aims is to make people happy and I find fulfillment in it. What kind of comedy do you think Nigerians want that you are giving them? For me, I do ethical jokes, I do it clean and make sure its family friendly, most importantly, I make sure people can relate with what I say on stage. Where do you think Nigerian comedians are not getting it right? I really don’t know, but I feel the originality is not really in place. I feel comedians should adopt their own style and avoid being who they are not. What stands you out in the comedy world? I think my style and my approach to the job stands me out. I can fit into any kind of crowd conveniently. God has always helped me. Have you been embarrassed on stage before? The first wedding I anchored, in 2009, my dressing was terrible, and for the whole of that day I wasn’t comfortable with my presentation, it was a nasty experience that day. Where do you see comedy in Nigeria in the next five years? I see comedy as a big business in Nigeria. Moreover, it’ll be bigger and better structured and will compete globally.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1