The Newell Murder serialization continues 9


Also, it would be on his subconscious. That he couldn’t stand up to a woman. He wasn’t proud but his ego wouldn’t take it and he was sure even his mum would be let down if he didn’t live up to this moment.

“You’re on,” he announced.

“What’re you taking?” she asked.

“Cutty Sark.”

“You know, I’m loving this. I love challenging men especially and they always fall for it. It’s something about you guys’ DNA. Anyway, I suggest we should go for a neutral drink. What do you suggest?”

Almost as if he had no will of his own, Lauren said the decision was up to her.

“Are you sure you’re doing the right thing?” she mused.

“So now you’re getting cold feet,” he gloated.

She was amused. “You really think so? Uhm, should we do tequila?”

“Let’s just get it over with.”

A bottle of tequila was brought for them and she poured a shot each for them, focused her vision on him daringly, raised her glass to her lips, and still looking at him stoutly, swallowed it to the last drop.

“I don’t know why,” she said casually, “but alcohol doesn’t have a really terrible effect on me. Maybe it’s because my parents were both heavy drinkers and I heard I was even conceived during a binge night.”

I’m in real trouble, Lauren thought. Her system can’t do without alcohol and she’s one up already so I have to be too. In fact I’ve to take the initiative.

So he made the transition to tequila, gulped his too, refilled their glasses and sent down his second shot.

She laughed at him. “Bravado!”

He didn’t feel inclined to comment.

They continued like that, pouring, drinking. She kept talking. “When I was a very little girl, I was very dull, never lively. My folks were very worried that something was definitely wrong but the pediatrics said all my vital signs were as should be. Then one day in frustration my mom gave me a tinny lil sip of her drink and it seemed to bring me to life,” and she burst into a grin at the recollection.

Lauren’s mouth and throat were scalding. In fact, all his body was on fire. There was a throb in his head. He wasn’t a sissy when it came to piling on the alcohol but he had never drunk competitively before. He always drunk in an easy manner at his own pace and would end up taking a lot.

Note: This is the ninth page of the Oseyiza Oogbodo book, The Newell Murder. More excerpts to follow on this blog. It's also available digitally on Amazon and many other online stores through the links below. Other Oogbodo books available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Dang Dang and other stores are Short Story Galore, The Good Life and some other titles exclusive to Amazon for now.


www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.de/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.fr/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.it/dp/B07DMNYVS8                                                                

www.amazon.es/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07DMNYVS8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1