‘Why I didn’t join Fela’s band’

Edet

Evangelist Goddi Edet, a veteran singer, recording and performing artist, multiinstrumentalist and music educator who’s currently promoting his latest album, Jesus Edi Obong, has disclosed to Oseyiza Oogbodo Blog why he didn’t join the prestigious Egypt 80 band of the great Fela  Anikulapo-Kuti when he had the opportunity several years ago.

Recalling that time gone by, he said, “I would have been a member of Fela’s band. They told him about me and I went for the audition at his Gbemisola Street, Ikeja residence where he had a hall for music.
Fela
“We were two to audition that day and when he asked me what instruments I could play, I mentioned the guitar, keyboard and drums. He then called for a guitar for me and asked me to play it. The first thing I did was to play the two octaves to tune the guitar and once I did that, Fela said it was okay, that I could play.”

So why didn’t he play in one of the biggest bands of all time?

“Well, it was because of what I used to witness in the Shrine during Fela’s performance. When he came on stage, he used to make all the band members swallow something that was taken from a container that had a red cloth around it. It was for this reason that I didn’t pursue a career in his band.”

Oh well, to everyone his own.

Read also

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1