I act in only sensible productions -Lillian Amah

Lillian Amah is one of Nollywood’s top actresses. She is also a producer. But unlike most of her colleagues who are always courting attention, thereby making them highly visible, Amah seems to be on the silent side. However, in this interview by OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG, she disclaims the notion that she is silent.

What's the latest about you?
I am on the set of Bridges as an actress and also producing the 3rd edition of Z-Mirage International Cultural Exchange Programme premiering on July 13th and touring Lagos, Ogun, Ondo and London.
Is Bridges a TV soap opera or a movie?
It is a television series advocating the benefits of signing on to the National Health Insurance Scheme (NHIS) and it is produced by Buffer Zone Communications. In it, I play the role of Hadiza who became an advocate of NHIS after almost losing her life and benefitting from a health insurance scheme she signed up for just to encourage a friend. It’s the sort of production I like to take part in because it adds value to society. Our government should ensure the NHIS works well because it has the potential of greatly enhancing the life and health status of Nigerians.
How did you break into Nollywood?
I attended an audition by Richard Mofe-Damijo and won a role as Alero in the movie Out Of Bounds.
How many movies have you done?
Less than twenty, although I have also featured in several TV programmes.
Is it that you prefer acting in TV to movies? What’s even the difference between acting for TV and in movies?
TV and film acting are both acting. They require virtually the same techniques unlike stage that requires a more robust and larger-than-life acting and gesticulations. TV lasts longer so you have more time to get into character and bond with your co-performers.
Don’t you feel that acting in 20 movies in 15 years is a little output? Why have you appeared in just that little number when your colleagues have acted in over a hundred?
I don't feel that 20 films in 15 years is a little output. I started acting professionally in 1996 and also worked full-time in different companies including banks up until 2005. I only joined the film industry full-time in 2006. My colleagues may have acted in hundreds but I have never been one to copy anyone. I do what suits my purpose or what I’m comfortable with. I act only in movies or TV productions that agree with my values. They have to say something positive and add value before I can align with them.
Why did you decide to be an actress?
I chose to become an actress because I derive fulfillment from acting. After watching The Sound Of Music at a cinema in Sierra Leone when I was a kid, I fell in love with the world of make-believe. On trying my hand at stage dramas in secondary school, I discovered an immense appreciation for the positive feedback I got. I knew then that that was what I was born to do.
Tell us about your most challenging role?
I have had a few challenging roles but none I would dub as most challenging. I believe there will be a lot more challenging roles for me in future.
Which is better, acting or producing?
Both are interesting and fulfilling for me.
Do you agree that you seem silent nowadays?
No I don't agree. My work is supposed to speak for me and I currently have a few programmes airing on TV. I have never been loud so I don't understand why it would be felt that I seem silent.
How long have you been in Nollywood?
My first job, Out Of Bounds was in 1997. I guess that means about 15 years.
What have you achieved as an actress?
Achievement is subjective. I have attained satisfaction from it. I leave others to judge my achievements.
How do you feel that people see actresses as loose people?
Everyone is entitled to their own opinions and those opinions really do not impact on me in any way.
What are your plans?
To live life well, be happy and contribute to making others happy.
What else can you tell us about yourself and Nollywood?
Nollywood is still growing. Association of Movie Producers of which I am Vice-President under the leadership of Zik Zulu Okafor is planning an event tagged One Billion Eyes on Nigeria to celebrate Nollywood at 20. Nollywood will not be the same again after that event. It will take place next year, by the special grace of the Almighty, and will involve all entertainment practitioners in Nigeria. We are hopeful that it will attract movie makers from all over the world.
Tell us more about Z-Mirage International Cultural Exchange Programme.
It is a programme that seeks to use arts and culture to achieve global diplomacy and restore the dignity of man. It is in its 3rd year and involves an international essay competition, drama, dance, tours and advocacy lectures. This year, 78 students from Nigeria and the Diaspora will compete in the essay while 8 American and Nigerian actors will take part in the drama. A Nigerian born, British lawyer-dancer Stanley Amah will showcase a blues dance party at the London event while Peter Badejo O.B.E., a Nigerian-born veteran of theatre will also host a dance workshop. It takes place in Lagos, London, Abeokuta and Akure and it promises to be great fun. I have produced it since inception while Alhaji Teju Kareem of Z-Mirage is the executive producer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1