The Good Life serialization begins again 4


Jane, busy doing nothing yet, tossed her head back and surveyed him fully, the head-to-toe sort, and Uba made it easier for her to do so by standing still, striking a model pose and soaking up her appraisal himself as he could see she wasn’t repulsed by what she saw.

Jane burst out laughing at his comical pose. “Hi, Will,” she replied.

“Just that?” Uba said as he moved very close to her and made to kiss her.

“What else do you want me to say?” she giggled throatily, deftly avoiding his questing lips.

Pleased that her reaction wasn’t really negative, Uba decided to respect himself for the moment. He sat on the edge of her desk. “Well, you might refer to me as darling or honey or something intimate instead of just plain Will.”

“You’re just funny, Will. Maybe you should take up comedy. I think you’ll do well in it.”

Feeling encouraged, Uba wasted no more time. “Why do you like punishing me, baby? I mean since I’ve been asking you for a date, you just keep refusing for no valid reason.”

Jane smiled vaguely. “Oh! That again! Your same old song! Mmm, you just persist and I might still get around to accepting some day.”

She, as well as her office, smelt nice from her perfume. “I like your perf,” Uba remarked, inhaling slightly.

“Do I take that as a compliment?” she bantered.

“You better do. What’s it called?”

“Why do you want to know? You want to buy it for me?”

“Do you want me to?”

“I won’t be surprised if you do,” she returned. “When you guys want something, you’re willing to do anything until you get it.”

Uba sensed they were gradually moving to the next level. “I’m not that type,” he said reassuringly, aware this was a vital opportunity to state his case to convince her. “I believe what I feel for you is the permanent thing.”

She went silent for some seconds. Uba too, allowing all the different thoughts in her head to have sway over her for the moment.

Eventually: “My perfume is Jo-Jo.”

Uba was a bit disappointed. Jo-Jo was a Nigeria-made perfume. He had been thinking on the lines she would mention an exquisite foreign brand, probably French, as most privileged Nigerians patronized foreign products over the local in virtually everything.

Note: This is the fourth page of the Oseyiza Oogbodo book, The Good Life. More excerpts to follow on this blog. Its weekly serialization began some weeks ago but began again due to some hitches. It's also available on Amazon and many other stores through the links below. Other Oogbodo books available on Amazon, Barnes & Noble, Kobo, Scribd, Dang Dang and other stores are Short Story Galore, and The Newell Murder, with Dedication To The Ugly to be available soon.

https://www.books2read.com/u/mgLRgK

www.amazon.com/dp/B07DM3KC4S

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DM3KC4S


www.amazon.fr/dp/B07DM3KC4S

www.amazon.it/dp/B07DM3KC4S

www.amazon.es/dp/B07DM3KC4S

www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07DM3KC4S

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1