Marriage has made me a better person –Darlene Benson

Darlene Benson Cobham is one of the actresses who has been able to become successful and celebrated in Nollywood. She however seems to be keeping a low profile nowadays and she told OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG why it seems so.

Why did you become an actress?
Well, I’ve always loved acting. As a child, I always pictured myself singing and acting, so I went ahead to study theatre arts and I obtained a diploma from the University of Calabar and my degree from the University of Lagos. I actually started out as a singer before I got into acting. I had already done two demo tapes, various jingles and backup vocals in the studio in the 90s before I got my first acting job. Also, I was performing on stage in UniCal for various school shows back then. So it was easy for me to decide to take it as a profession as well.
Have you achieved the goals you set for yourself?
I’ve not oh, but I’m sure I will. It’s just a matter of time and patience.
Who are your role models?
They are people like Oprah Winfrey, Barrack Obama and many others who against all the odds have surged through to make it in life.
Tell us your experience as a movie producer.
Producing is very tedious, especially when you combine it with acting, with the limited resources we have to work here, and not to talk of the fact that you don’t make so much money after all the hard work.
You don’t seem to act as often as before. Why?
I'm out of Lagos most of the time so I don’t seem to be visible enough for the producers, but it only takes a phone call and I'm in Lagos if I was out of town. Still, I do 2-3 movies a year.
Is marriage encumbering your career?
No it’s not. My darling husband supports me 100% and loves it when I’m shooting or in the studios.
Do you think marriage aids a successful showbiz career?
From my experience, yes.
Can you compare your life as a spinster and as a wife?
Life is better as a married woman. I love being married. It has made me a better person.
What do you hate about Nollywood?
Hate? Hate is a strong word! I don’t love hating!
What do you like then about Nollywood?
The constant strive to get better, the Nigerian spirit of working hard, and the drama in our movies.
Which movie shot you to limelight and which year was that?
That is Opa Williams’ Maama in 1998. Zeb Ejiro's soap, Candlelight, where I played Emem opposite Do Good played by Basorge also gave me the necessary visibility to go on and become more accepted in Nollywood till date.
Do you do anything else apart from music and acting?
Apart from them, I also write movie scripts, I MC events, and at other times, I just love being a wife and a mother.
Which would you say is harder between singing and acting?
I can’t say. I try to put in my best in the both of them so that whatever I do in them doesn’t appear mediocre.
Okay, are you a better singer or actress?
If you were asking which I love most, it would be an easier question. The answer is, I am more passionate about my music. It’s personal to me, it’s all I believe, it’s the message I bear, it’s my life!
Which has been your most challenging role?
To date, it is still my role in Maama which of course I won an award for. Reel Awards 1999, best new actress.
What is your advice to upcoming actresses?
Be focused. If you know for sure that this is what you want to do and you have the talent for it, give every role you play your best, constantly try to outdo your last performance, pray always.
Which of the many handsome Nollywood actors do you admire the most?
I don’t admire any actor because of his good looks. I’ve never been swayed by looks. Character is a man, not looks. I never dated anybody because of looks.
How were your growing-up years?
Growing up was a beautiful experience. I grew up in Port Harcourt. I have fond memories of my father. He was a journalist with Daily Times. I’m sure he would have approved of my acting career, but he wanted me to be a lawyer though.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1