The Newell Murder serialization 3

Lauren wondered who the visiting chick could be. Al’s fiancée? (Did he have one?) His sister? (Definitely not) Someone important to him? (Definitely)
“So who’s this girl who’s got you all flustered? She must be hot, right?”

A smile lit up Al’s face. “She is, mate. She is.”

“So where’s she coming from?”

“New Jersey.”

Lauren whistled. “That’s a long ways.”


“Sure. Sure. So what do you say?”

They caught a red light and he rested the engine. “I don’t mind to lend you my car, Al, but you got yours obviously.”

“I know, but I actually need yours ’cause I really got to impress her and my own car ain’t half as quaint as this one.”

The green came on and Lauren put the car back in motion. “OK. It’s yours. What about yours? Will it be alright by then?”

“Yes,” Al replied prickly. “Or did you think I would want to borrow yours if I couldn’t give you mine?”

Lauren didn’t respond. He wheeled the car into Sunset Boulevard, drove it up to the gallery and halted it at the curb with the engine still running. “Here we are. Service with a smile.”

Al got down and, leaning back in through the open window, said, “Thanks for the ride, bud. Really ’ppreciate it.”

Lauren’s foot was still on the brake. “No problem, pal. See ya.”

Though Al could see Lauren was itching to move the car, he didn’t go away. “Say, Dave, you never been to this Bolognese Gallery, right?”


“I haven’t had the time,” Lauren admitted. “What about it?”

“Well, why not pop in now to have just a look around. You’ll see some damn good paintings and other art stuff and you’ll certainly see something you want to buy, though you might not be able to, cos they cost quite a lot of bread.”

Lauren contemplated for a moment, then decided to go, just to humour Al. He killed the purring engine, rolled up the open windows and removed the key from the ignition. 

“OK, I’ll have a quick look-see.”

Note: This is the third page of the Oseyiza Oogbodo book, The Newell Murder, which is available as an eBook on Amazon.

His other available eBooks are Short Story Galore, The Good Life, Dedication To The Ugly, I Wasn’t Paid For My Bill Clinton Performance, I’m Not A Husband Snatcher, Most Musicians Are Like Beggars, The Billionaire Entertainers, Nigeria Is Better Than America, Michael Jackson Didn’t Inspire Me, Ear Rings Are Meant For Slaves, Demons Tremble At My Sight, The Man Who’s Seen His Own Funeral, If My Daughter Becomes A Prostitute, Reading Is Dying Because Of Mothers, Jesus Will Return Through Nigeria, DJs Don’t Support Good Music, It’s Nonsense To Beg, Pay For Awards, two stand-alone short stories, The Gamble and The Parcel, and a stand-alone article, Women Don’t ENJOY Sex.

All of them are available digitally on Amazon.





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1