‘I see music as divine assignment’

Solagbade Sola is a gospel music minister. Born in Ikeja, Lagos about 37 years ago to the family of Olanipekun Okusanya, she is the first daughter. In 2002, she got married to Segun Solagbade. In 2008, she came out with her debut album tilted Yin Baba. Subsequently, she released her second audio titled Sounds Of Praise in 2013, followed by another album in 2014 titled Yahweh Praise. In this interview with ADEJUWON OSUNNUYI, she speaks about her latest album Ayo Mi Ti De, among others. How did you come into music? To me, I see music as a mission to be fulfilled. I can say I see music as my divine assignment, a mandate to be carried out without excuse. I didn’t just venture into music. I have a serious passion for it. I started singing as early as I was five years old as I led the school cultural group in my primary schools days. What type of music genre do you sing? I can say I am into purely gospel music. I am a gospel music minister. Who is your mentor? Basically, someone I respect so much whom I can call my mentor is Mama D.A. Fasoyin. She is a woman who sings with so much passion. I also appreciate Bukola Bekes, she is full of life whenever she sings. What is your disposition to secular music? I like music that adds value and gives hope while lifting the soul of the listeners. Salvation is a gift from God; I have seen the likes of Evang. Ebenezer Obey who has been passing wonderful messages to people long before he gave his life to Christ. What is your current project? My latest work, which has been released into the market this month, is an album titled AYO MI TI DE. It has five tracks with beautiful and inspirational messages. It is a work that I love so much because of the messages it preaches. On what label is it coming out? Actually, I can say God has been my promoter for now. When I gave my work to about three companies, all of them endorsed it and told me they love the work. But, in turning me down, they said only artistes are the ones benefitting these days. What I deduce from that is that most of them don’t really want to spend their money to promote artistes. However, somehow, I decided not to get discouraged. I do get invitations from churches to perform and I use the opportunity to sell my albums in those churches. Many do call me to get copies. But I can say for now I get additional support from Zplus Music International and Dapat Music who also help me to distribute. How do you get your inspiration? I get my inspiration from the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit normally ministers to me at times in my dream. I might be cooking at home and I get the inspiration. But I do pray for songs because I do write theme songs for church programmes. What actually excites you about music? With music, I feel fulfilled with the fact that it gives me the opportunity to express my gratitude to God while people around will equally be blessed. What are the lessons life has taught you? You have to pursue your purpose with prayers, vigour and determination. You need to know your purpose and where you are heading. Life has taught me to be self-motivated and God-dependent regardless of what men say. Aside from music, what else do you do? I work as a payroll administrator in an HR company in Lagos. What is the fashion trend you love to wear? I love colourful, beautiful, smart and comfortable outfits. What is your philosophy of Life? Life is what you make of it. Whatever your goal is in life, you have to keep the dream alive, no matter the situation. Don’t give up. Quitters never win, and winners never quit. Where do you see gospel music in the next five years in Nigeria? I see gospel music becoming much better than what it is now presently.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1