I'm taking indigenous rap to the global level -Da Emperor

Da Emperor’s latest song, Firewood, is heating up the airwaves. He featured Double Wahala singer, Oritsefemi, on it, and now he tells OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG that Firewood is just one of the many hit songs he’s scheduled to release. What's the latest about you? Hmmm, the latest about the boy is a book full of surprises, permit me to use that tag. I've got loads of new songs expressing my versatility and creativity in each of these masterpieces. I’ve got a new song, I Am A Sinner. I dropped its snippet recently after I dropped Firewood, my collaboration with Oritsefemi. I’ve also got another masterpiece in the mix process with Indomix. It’s titled Shilekun. And there are still many other songs. So once the spirit says go, we keep hitting them hard with these HITS. Also, preparations are being put in place for the video for the smash hit, Firewood, which has caused lots of stares and appreciation and acceptance from the clubs, streets and social media platforms in general. Why are you into music? The reason is simply my passion for it. It's what I love doing. Music is me spitting out my soul through the speakers. Plus I came into the industry with the aim of taking indigenous rap to a global scale. That is, representing our dialect and culture worldwide. How long have you been in music? For as long as I can remember. I knew I started from the church choir at a tender age when I was living with my guardians where I grew up. I could remember being a choir member to being the choir master at a tender age. Then years passed by, and around 2008, I started writing lyrics of my own. 2010, 2011 I hit the studio and did two songs at a go. Those two songs were Am A Rapper and Facebook Prediction featuring Don D King. During this same time, Don D King also featured me on a hit song we never got to release titled Love Advice. What have you achieved in music? I have achieved a whole lot. Glory be to God and to those supporting the brand and to fans worldwide. I won't want to start listing, but so far, each time I look back, I've got enough reasons to keep moving. Last year, I premiered the video of my hit single, Para Mode, at the Silverbird Cinemas, Ikeja. I decided to do something no indigenous rapper has done, I performed alongside a live band. These two actions were exceptional, and I can categorically say I'm the first indigenous rapper to make those moves. It's all part of the plan in taking indigenous rap music international. What are your plans? Plans, plans, plans. I'm sticking to the script, man proposes God disposes. We putting in work, we counting blessings. Album workload in progress first and foremost, and still featuring on songs, and in videos, movies and so on. The major is to keep progressing, that's why we keep the flag flying. What's your candid view of the industry? My view is from a skyscraper. The industry is growing, getting better, bigger and stronger day by day as we can all see. It's a good thing. Big brands are also very supportive these days so it makes the hustle easier. It will always keep getting better. Are you facing any challenges or you're finding it very easy? Challenges are a usual thingy. Without obstacles, there can't be a winner. I do face lots of challenges just like any other A-list act does, but the deal is to live with these challenges and get better by finding either a solution to them or a way around them. What do you like most about the music industry? Well, the fact that new faces, talents and careers are springing up and also the fact that we are now being recognized internationally and given opportunities to exploit, get international endorsement, tour and we’re also receiving awards and appreciation from all over the world. I think that's a major achievement and huge progress for the Nigerian music industry. What do you hate about it? Well, about the music industry, I've learnt to live it up. So I won't say I hate anything about it as long as it keeps getting better. It’s a global world, and all kinds of music genres are welcome, so there’s nothing to hate.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1