Why I'm yet to blow -Tundey

Afropop singer, Tundey, is doing very well presently with the video of his song, My Money, getting massive rotation. He told OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG about his music career. Why did you go into music? I just love music and I can’t do without it. The only thing that keeps me going is music. As a little boy, I was listening to Sunny Ade, Ayinde Barrister, Ebenezer Obey, and they inspired me, especially Sunny Ade. I loved the way people come around to watch him perform and I knew I wanted to be like him. Then, my grandmother used to call me Alofe, an Ondo dialect for someone that’s always talking or thinking about music. I told my mum when I left secondary school that she should register me in music school or take me to KSA that I wanted to be part of his band. My mum looked at me that day and smiled. Later, my mum told me emphatically that I should forget music and proceed to the university instead. So your mum didn’t support your music dream? In a way. She felt it would prevent my university education and she was adamant that I must go to university so she didn’t support me until I graduated from Obafemi Awolowo University (OAU), Ile Ife. So you dropped music until you graduated or you were doing it by the side while at OAU? While I was at OAU, I was never serious with my academics. It was always music that kept my interest. Most times, I will be with some bands rehearsing and doing something related to music while classes were on. But my mum never knew that was what I was doing. She believed I had forgotten about music. In 2007, I graduated from the university and did my NYSC the following year, thereby satisfying my mum and I then gave my all to music. You are from Ondo State and you schooled at OAU in Osun State. How did you get to be based in Ibadan? I was actually born in Ibadan, but we moved back to Ondo State. Anyway, music took me to Ibadan because a producer I know, Magic Fingers, introduced me to an Ibdan-based producer, Sanmi Akinmusere, and we had the right working chemistry, so I stayed back in Ibadan. How many songs do you have to your credit? I’ve recorded more than a hundred songs and written over one thousand songs. You have written over a thousand songs and you are just getting known gradually. Why? Is there a problem somewhere? Do you really believe you have what it takes to blow massively? There’s no problem anywhere. It is only God that can elevate one. No matter how hard you try, when God says it is not time for you to get to that big stage, you will just continue to work hard. I am very prepared for this. In terms of my lyrics, I will tell you that I have got good lyrics because I take my time to write good songs. Asides that, God gave me a very good voice and I am on a label that is ready to work tirelessly to take your career to a meaningful level so I will definitely blow nationwide and worldwide. People say you sound like 9ice and that your lyrics are not really different from his. What do you have to say about that? Yes, I have heard people say that, but I don’t believe they are correct. I think people are saying that because I use indigenous language, like 9ice does. But I don’t sound like him, I don’t even have the kind of voice he has and I’m not copying his style. I sing a blend of Yoruba and English because I have more command of my expression when I sing in my mother language. I find it easier singing in Yoruba, but I also blend it with English sometimes.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1