Short Story Galore serialization continues 8


She resumed, “Most of my income comes from my jewelry shop on Broad Street. It’s a good business. Simultaneously, it’s risky. As my shop’s in the process of expanding, it’s even riskier. I pull in profit but it’s ploughed back in. You see, the crux of all these is that about fourteen weeks back, Mr Bald walked in and bought ninety-seven thousand naira worth of jewelry and requested to be billed. Naturally, his request was granted.”

Chief Durojaiye whistled. Calculating, he said, “This was after the scenario in Lord Michael’s?”

She exhaled smoke. “Yes.”



He became more participatory. “Go on.”

“I don’t really know what occurred in the pub, but when Mr Bald wouldn’t settle his charge, I went to my husband and asked him to speak to him on my behalf. He sat me down and came out with a story of how a gentleman’s honour was in his word, how there was something known only to him and Mr Bald which they’d agreed they wouldn’t let anybody into, and he concluded that he could only advise me to get the money as best I could.”

The Chief cogitated for some moments. “Why do you say Bald wouldn’t settle his charge?”

“Well, it seems he’s in the red in his bank, and he instructed them on our bill for them to direct us to him personally to square it up with us. My manager at the shop contacted him and Larry told him bluntly that he didn’t have any interest ever in paying up. Aware that he’s of the gentry and close to my spouse, my manager was afraid of stepping on his toes so he came to me. I called on Larry too to ascertain what was going on. He directed me to my husband. As you know by now, I went to him too but I’m still left in the dark.”

He posed a question. “In a situation like this, what do you usually do?”



“Somehow it’s never happened to us before. All those who patronize us pay up with no fuss. Even Larry has been a good customer over the years.”

“Do you feel he’s bankrupt?”

“He’s not. He’s eccentric but certainly not short of cash.”

“Lady Fisher.” He paused. “You would like me to help you recover this money? Is that it?”

“Yes, please. I don’t know what the bad blood is between him and my husband, but he shouldn’t take it out on my own business. I would like you to have a word with him first and if he proves uncooperative still, you can use any method necessary.”

He got to his feet to usher her out. “Do not worry anymore, ma’am. Put your mind at rest. When I was coming up in life, I had a reputation that I always do what I say, and even in the present, people still know it of me. Just believe right now that your money’s already with you.”

Note: This is the second page of Heaven Meet, the third of the short stories in the Oseyiza Oogbodo book, Short Story Galore, which’s serialization began some weeks ago. More excerpts to follow on this blog. It’s available on Amazon and many other stores through the links.

Other available Oogbodo books are The Good Life, The Newell Murder, Dedication To The Ugly, I Wasn’t Paid For My Bill Clinton Performance: 40 Compelling Celeb Interviews, I’m Not A Husband Snatcher: 40 More Compelling Celeb Interviews, Most Musicians Are Like Beggars: 40 Additional Compelling Celeb Interviews, The Billionaire Entertainers: 40 Compelling Entertainment Articles, Nigeria Is Better Than America: 40 Compelling Humanity Articles, and Michael Jackson Didn’t Inspire Me: 40 Compelling People Encounters.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1