My regret in life -Seyi Shay

Shay

Seyi Shay, one of Nigeria’s biggest female music stars, chats with OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG about

her constantly rising music career and discloses that though she already has a lot, but like Oliver Twist, she wants much, much more.

Congrats on your deal with Island Records. How did the deal in London come about?

Thank you. It has been in the works for a while. Island approached my management team in the UK after hearing Murda and Crazy. They had been connected with my music and work since 2014. My management team and myself thought it was a great idea and I’m happy to be working with them.

Tell us about your newest single, Right Now.

Right Now was produced by multiple Grammy award winner, Harmony Samuels. He’s responsible for the success of Ariana Grande and has produced records for Chris Brown, Brandy, Fantasia, Maroon 5 and more. He is Nigerian and also a childhood friend. The sound is a cross between lovers rock, reggae and afrobeat, right? I love mid-tempo songs because they allow me show my vocal ability more. My video is currently on YouTube and also available for purchase on iTunes.

What actually made you go into music?

I was brought up around music. Secondary school was where it all kicked off for me. I was part of the school choir who were opportune to go to Japan to sing in 13 different cities. It was a gospel choir tour. I was so much in my element on those stages that I knew I wanted to sing and perform as a career path. I am blessed to be doing music. Not everybody gets to do what they love. I am grateful.

What’s your strong point musically?

My strengths lie in writing melodies and singing.

What’s the biggest audience you’ve performed for?

The biggest audience would have to be when my former girl group, From Above, managed by Matthew Knowles, supported Beyoncé on her I AM tour in 2010. Every night we opened her shows in front of about 15, 20,000 people. It was really a magical experience. I learned so much of what I use today when performing.

What are the sacrifices you’re making to be musically successful?

The time I should have spent with my family and loved ones.

What are your future plans?

They are to release an internationally viable album, to tour the world and to represent Nigeria globally.

What’s the highlight of your music career thus far?

The highlights of my music have been touring with Beyoncé, being nominated for internationally recognized awards, performing on different stages across the globe, being signed to a label where the likes of Justin Beiber, Nicki Minaj, Bob Marley and Amy Winehouse are/were my colleagues and having a great team to do it all with.

And the low point?

I don't get to sleep much. I am constantly working. It’s also not an easy task to struggle to be and stay at the top. Finally, I wish my mother was around to see and enjoy it all. I know she is watching.

Do you do any other thing apart from music?

Music is my one and only love.

Tell us about your family.

I was raised by my mom, a beautiful woman. I have two older brothers and one older sister. My mother was a nurse for the private medical sector in the UK and a property investor and my dad is a businessman and a pastor of a church.

Who has helped you the most in your career?

God has helped me most in my career. I have also had a lot of support from various people in my journey. My siblings, my choir director, Matthew Knowles, Flytime, my managers now, my producers, Sound Sultan, 2face Idibia and everyone that has ever worked with me. I have had a lot of support from quite a few people, too many to mention, and I am grateful. It truly takes a village to raise a child.

Which would you regard as your most successful song so far?

Murda produced by Dokta Frabz is the most acclaimed and was really the start of all the buzz.

Again, Nigeria-based artist loses the Grammy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1