‘I feel ashamed that I impregnated a minor’

On May 22, a 16-year-old girl, Damilola Wehbe, gave birth to a baby girl who was subsequently named Oluwadara (God is good). Even as it was an issue that she was a minor who got pregnant, her delivery was also another issue as she delivered right on the floor of her mother’s sitting room without a doctor or professional midwife in attendance.
Rather, it was her 10-year-old sister, Ajila, who was her sole assistant in bringing the baby into the world. Such was the astonishment that greeted the revelation of little Ajila’s role in the delivery of young Damilola’s baby that she was chosen as an hero at the 2011 edition of Indomie Independence Day Heroes Awards.
Of the three IIDHA finalists, Ajila came second and she won a prize of N750,000 for her heroic feat. And even as the Wehbe sisters bask in the limelight of coming through the child delivery drama that could have cost the delivering mother her life, as both of them were not experienced in the act of child delivery, lots of people have wondered whom it was that put a minor into the family way.
Oseyiza Oogbodo Blog went on his trail and found him out to be Dayo Oyesanmi, a 24-year-old undergraduate of Economics/Political Science at a federal college of education.
According to him, he met Damilola a couple of years ago. “We live in the same neighbourhood and our paths eventually crossed. We were just friends from the onset, then we became close.”
Considering that his child’s delivery was in a very dangerous circumstance, and that he would have been definitely blamed if there was any mortality, Oyesanmi said, “I can’t but continue to thank God for it was the Lord’s doing. Imagine two minors involved in child delivery when even some professionals fail resulting, in death during child birth.”
Giving his view of what made the two girls succeed in the delivery, he said, “Like I mentioned earlier, it was the Lord’s doing. God the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit were all present in the two heroes that faithful day. I also think they have this spirit of boldness and braveness in them and I can say it’s a trait from their upbringing.”
Getting a minor pregnant is regarded as an act of irresponsibility, and Oyesamni agrees. “It is an act I feel very ashamed of. Each time I reflect back to the whole thing, it makes me sad, but at the same time, I thank God.”
Speaking on the hefty prize money won by Ajila, he said, “Wow, I was so elated by it. The circumstance that is supposed to be an embarrassment or rather shame, God turned it round for the family’s favor. It was indeed a thing of Joy. I am very proud of Ajila for her braveness. This kind of act to me has never happened in the history of Nigeria.”
Saturday Mirror then asked him if he felt he deserved a part of the prize money which wouldn’t have came about if he didn’t make Damilola pregnant to have the miraculous delivery.
“I should bury my head in shame for the pain I caused the family rather than thinking of sharing in the Father’s reward for the family wisdom in handles the issue. I should be behind bars now if not that Damilola’s mother has a godly heart and she is truly a woman of God (doer of God’s Word).”
Oyesanmi is also trying his best to care for his child.  “Initially, I couldn’t play any role because her mother was very furious and promised if she ever sees me around her house or daughter, she will hand me over to the police for child abuse. After she gave birth, my family came to plead on my behalf and somehow God took control and I was forgiven. I do my bit by sending a token monthly allowance for my child’s upkeep. I know what I send is not 100% enough, but her family has been supportive too.”
And on if he intends to marry Damilola, “We are both still in school and I will like to appreciate Dammy’s mom for this bold step she took by not allowing our stupidity to distract her plan for her daughter. If God says we are meant to be couple then so be it.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1