I'll live up to expectations -Yeka Onka

Yeka Onka is the first winner of Nigerian Idol. Her latest song, Me And You, is very hot presently. She told OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG about life after Idol.

What’s the latest about you?
I have been making progress in my plans. Yes, it hasn’t been as fast as everyone expected, due to some hitches which I’d rather not talk about now, so I’ve been taking it slow and steady. I’ve recorded plenty of songs with amazing producers and my new song, Me And You, is one of them so I have a lot of songs ready that I can keep releasing. I also have an all-girl band that backs me up for all my performances. I have a gig every Wednesday at Rhapsody, Ikeja City Mall, so I’m making progress and also getting better by the day. I hate to put the blame on people or anything and wallow in self pity. Success comes from God in due time. So whatever happens, whatever people do to weigh you down, when it’s your time, believe me, nothing can stop you.
How has life been after Nigerian Idol?
Life has been amazing since generally. I have been enjoying my stay in the industry. It is not a hidden fact that challenges pop up every now and then but that is what makes life interesting, because every time you face a challenge and pull through, you move to a higher level. So right now, I am working on a new project with a fabulous team. I can say I am confident that things will work out.
It was expected that you would have been the hottest thing by now. What’s going on?
As I said, I have been making progress but not as loud as you might have expected. I can tell you that I recently teamed up with a new management, Limelite Records, and I really love how they are taking my career seriously. I just released a new single under the new label and it is already going places I never expected, so that is a sign of good things to come.
If you look at past winners of reality TV shows like you, how would you say you have fared? 
I don't like comparing my progress with anyone's but in this context I don't think I'm doing badly.
Why is your album taking so long to come out?
I don’t want to release an album for the fun of it. I have to give my fans something they can always be proud of. It is not about just dropping an album. It is more about the quality of what you are releasing to the people. So, it’s already a work in progress, and we are moving from one stage to another. I will drop a couple of videos first, let them grow on people, and then depending on the demand, I will drop an album very soon.
How do you handle your male admirers, considering that you’re very beautiful?
I appreciate the aspect of beauty that you mentioned, but I don’t allow it to get into my head for a day. What I do is to politely let guys who fall into that category know that I'm unavailable for anything beyond a platonic relationship.
What do you think you have got that will eventually work for you as you continue to find your feet in the industry?
Aside the fact that I have a very strong and wide vocal range which has been working for me since my first day in the industry, I also have an all-girl band that I perform with for every show. Aside my normal vocal training every day, I rehearse every week with my band, G-Factor. The reward for hard work is success, and going by my experience in the industry, in less than no time, you will get to see what I am talking about. My talent is also a big factor. It will spur me to greater heights.
What has being famous denied you?
It denies anyone the opportunity to live a private life. I am not happy that I have lost my privacy but the fact is that I am enjoying fame. I won’t trade it for anything. There is nothing special about being a celebrity, but I can tell you it makes me feel comfortable and good. Life as a celeb is full of fun.
Tell us more about Me And You.
It is a mid-tempo love/wedding song that anyone can groove to. Love is a beautiful thing, so you can’t afford not to just be in love with it. I am happy about the reactions we have been getting. That’s why we are not stopping. My management and record label is doing everything to push the brand to enviable heights. All I can tell you is to keep all fingers crossed and watch what Yeka is up to.
What does Yeka mean?
My name is Onyekachi Elizabeth Gilbert. Yeka was cropped from my real names when I was still in high school.
Artists and their labels keep having problems nowadays with artists complaining that their labels don’t satisfy them. Are you satisfied with yours?
My record label is like my family. Our relationship isn’t based on or guided by a contract. They believe in me and will go the extra mile to promote the Yeka brand. I’m glad I’m signed to Limelite.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1