Reggae music is dead in only Lagos –Rymzo de Gusto

Rymzo de Gusto is one of Nigeria’s foremost reggae musicians. OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG met him recently and he spoke on many issues that his fans want to know about.

You seem very silent nowadays. What’s going on?
Yeah, I was away for some time, you know, but since I came back, I’m just chilling this year to start again next year.
What do you mean by you were away? You travelled out?
Yeah, you see the last time I was out there, that was 2008, and I got shot, some people tried to murder me, so when I had that experience, I just managed to continue the promo I was doing then, then after a while I had to back out from the scene and I left Nigeria. So when I came back, I’m just gathering my materials to launch myself out again next year.
Where did you go to and when did you come back?
I was in Vienna for a while. From there, I went to Jamaica, South Africa and I came back last year December.
In all these places you went to, what were you doing?
I was working, recording music, gathering materials, like I’m sure since 2009, I’ve over a 100 songs I’ve recorded, and I’ve been doing concerts too. You know, I’m a rasta artist so a lot of people get me involved in concerts in different countries, even in Africa. Like last February, I was in Gambia and many other places like that.
So you’re saying you were making music even though you were off the scene?
Yeah, yeah, making music, I live music.
And making money too?
Yeah, of course. I’m living. I may not be rich like the afrobeat artists right now but I’m living well, for real.
What’s your view of this issue of reggae music is dying?
No, I don’t think reggae music is dead. I just think it’s in Lagos because in like Port Harcourt, reggae music is the biggest genre. There are other places like that. So reggae music is not dead. It’s just that the mainstream media in Lagos don’t really identify with reggae because they see it like disruptive music. If we want to speak the truth, check all the icons of reggae today, nobody smokes, apart from maybe Majek. I don’t smoke nothing, you can see my lips. We don’t do all those drugs. The afrobeats artists, the hip-hop artists, they smoke drugs more than reggae artist. But it’s just that reggae music is so serious. It has a lot of serious content that makes the mainstream media sometimes get shocked to play it. I even had a song that I released last year which was refused to be played in so many places simply because it was dealing with the government. Reggae music is music that comes from an ideology. And these days, I see that the mainstream does not really want people who have strong ideologies, it just wants enjoyment, enjoyment, that’s why you think reggae is dead, but it’s only Lagos that reggae music even looks dead. This year, I’ve played over nine shows in Port Harcourt. When I say shows, serious concerts. So reggae music lives, but not in Lagos, because it’s not in the mainstream media for now, but on that, we’re still working, you know.
When you came out with your debut album, Take Mediocres Off The Stage, you were everywhere. But your sophomore album didn’t do well. Why?
The second album was the problem of the marketing. I lost a lot of money on that album. The marketer was not supporting it. He was just busy selling from whatever they can sell. And I lost a whole lot of money recording, gathering materials, shooting videos that got lost, I had to reshoot again and all that.  So that’s what made me back out a bit because that second album was supposed to be the biggest.
What’s your plan for your third album then? Considering what killed the second one, do you think you can overcome that problem now?
Of course. Because right now, I’m not dealing with no Alaba, you understand? Alaba days are over with Rymzo because they don’t even support the music. They jump at what they see out there. So right now, I’m doing all my calculations. In fact, that’s why I rested this year. If not, I would have dropped some stuff this year. I’ve videos ready, but I’m keeping them for when I’m ready. So I have a strategy I’m working on, but it doesn’t include Alaba.
When will the album drop?
Well, I don’t have a date fixed for that yet, but next year from sometime in April, I’m gonna be having singles out there. That’s the plan I just have for now and when I see how it goes, that’s when we’ll decide if an album can come out that same next year. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1