Kunle Afolayan accused of tribalism

At a time it’s believed that the Yorubas of Nigeria are against the Igbos, celebrated Yoruba filmmaker Kunle Afolayan has come out to stoke the fire further by making comments that many are saying are tribalistic. While the actual cause of Afolayan’s comments is the hydra-headed monster, piracy, and people are actually sympathetic about the extremely negative effects of piracy on Afolayan’s business as a movie producer, such people still could not bring themselves to reconcile with his perceived tribalistic sentiments. Afolayan’s comments which have dented his image somewhat came in a series of tweets that immediately trended. “You all sit on social media and run your mouth. Try and put your money into production and see how it feels. Scream tribalism if you like. “You want to know. OK. The pirates already have October 1 and have been threatening the distributor that they will release this week. “It’s a fact that most of the pirates I see selling pirated CDs and DVDs are Igbo. One even threatened me after I seized my film from him. Why? “We have written to the police, NCC and other agencies. What’s the outcome? Nothing. Surely you’re waiting for me to come beg to feed my family. Something drastic has to be done. Period. Crucify yourself if you want. “May the wrath of God strike all of you. An average filmmaker out there put their all, I man all into making the film and some MF enjoy … “They have released Phone Swap, Tango With Me, 30 Days In Atlanta and many more. Most of you patronize these criminals and come here to judge me. I’m really sorry if my Igbo friends and fans feel offended. I am just so bitter and pained. I am truly sorry. “My distributor is Igbo. I like and trust him but he mentions his frustration all the time. His kinsmen are on his tail. We are all frustrated.” … Uche Jombo too flays him And just as Kunle Afolayan claims that he’s frustrated, pained and bitter and that’s why he’s made comments specifically attacking the Igbos, one of his colleagues has given it back to him, saying Kunle should remember that without the Igbos, there mightn’t even be Nollywood. That person is Uche Jombo and she must also be feeling as Kunle is feeling, especially as she’s Igbo, and her comments to Kunle were quite reprimanding and advisorial. "Interesting to see anyone in Nollywood insult Igbos about piracy, since without them we might not even have Nollywood of today. Piracy is not a tribal thing. Every filmmaker is sad about piracy. It is a war we should all fight and hope to win one day. Accept what you cannot change. Change what you cannot accept,” Jombo said.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1