Most Nigerian artists don’t understand music -Sifter

Sifter is a Nigeria-born America-based music sensation. He left Nigeria for the United States of America to pursue his education but found out that music was his calling. Now, he tells OSEYIZA OOGBODO BLOG that music is all he thinks of and that his passion for music is why he’s succeeding in it. Your song, Ololufe, which features 9ice, is already gaining some momentum in Nigeria despite the fact that you are yet to drop it. I learnt you will be dropping the video and the audio same day. Could you tell me what is going on with you and the song? The song was produced by Smoothkiss, Bugatti Records in-house producer. Ololufe is one song that I really like and I am proud to have featured 9ice on it. The song was composed and written by me. After recording the song, I felt like who could complete the work for me and the thought of 9ice came to my mind. I knew some people were saying 9ice had passed his time, but when we got into the studio and I listened to him sing, I changed that mindset. 9ice is a phenomenal musician, no doubt about it. Why 9ice? I felt he is the person that will be able to relate the story well, though there are other great artists in Nigeria. But I think 9ice is a legend. He knows his game and has been very consistent. What was it like in the studio with 9ice? It was great. 9ice is a cheerful person. He is a great person. He is a friendly someone you would love to be around with. I would say he is my mentor. After I met him and did a couple of things with him, I would say I have learnt a lot from him. The video and was shot by Unlimited LA and It was dope. I won’t reveal much now. I want my fans to listen to the song and watch the video before we open the conversation on them. How much did you pay 9ice to have him on your song? I don’t think that is necessary. I think that should be between myself and him. The most important thing is that we did a collabo and everybody loves the partnership. Nigerians like concentrating on money a lot instead of working hard to make money. Whatever amount my management might have paid him, I will not reveal that to you because it is not professional. What has been happening to your music career? My career has been very good. Things are working fine for me. Despite the fact that I am based in the United States, I have been able to keep my fan base and my relationship with my fans has been awesome. Staying outside the country has also opened my eyes to see the industry from a very broad view and I very comfortable with the way things are working out for me. Though, I am not based in Nigeria, I have never lost touch with my people down there. Don’t forget that I grew up in Nigeria before I left Nigeria. I have performed at major gigs in the US and even beyond. Apart from working with 9ice, there are other top artistes that I am currently working with but I don't wish to reveal much now. The fact is that I am ready to shake the music industry. The big guns should just watch out for Sifter. With the level you are today, how has the story been so far? I have changed a lot in the past few years. The transformation has been good. You know I started with gospel music and now I sing secular music. Now that I sing secular music, thing have changed and I am coping very well. You dumped gospel for secular music? I wasn’t a gospel artist in the real sense of it. I was just a chorister. The fame, the name, the promo and having a record label, those things don’t come overnight. Basically, the changes have been good. To God be the glory. What do you see in your record label that has given you the motivation to stay? We have a very good management team and within a year, if you Google my name, I already have over ten pages with my name. The publicity is working fine at the moment. BRG is a group of motivated people that are striking towards the same goal. Bringing something cool and unique to the listening of Nigerians. I have seen something great coming and I am glad to be part of the dream that will transform Nigerian music industry. You signed the deal in the US. Are you planning to come back to Nigeria? Well, I have more of my audience in Africa, probably later in future I plan to move back, but I’m not ready to come back permanently right now. However, I’m still working on some new stuff that will keep me here for some time. Do you think you have what it takes to break into a very competitive music industry in this part of the world? For me, I don’t see any competition. With due respect, most Nigerian artistes don’t understand music. They don’t have a deep understanding about music lyrics and it is very sad. If you listen to my songs, you will feel the connection and the professionalism. I am not trying to blow my trumpet but I feel that being exposed to the Western world has helped me a great deal. God be praised for that. What are your challenges as an artiste? I don’t see any challenge. I am sorry if I am sounding strange. I don’t see anything as a challenge but a phase I need to pass through. Facing the crowd is no problem. I don’t see that as a challenge, I can carry a crowd of over 1 million people if they are here. I will carry them along and everybody will have fun. What motivates you as a musician? God is my motivation. Every day I wake up, I thank God for His blessings and the grace to write and produce good songs.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1