DJs support upcoming artists –DJ O’Kay Megamixer

How did you come about the name O’Kay Megamixer? The dictionary meanings of Okay are: all right; satisfactory; correct; permissible; acceptable; feeling well etc. All these words describe me as a person. O’Kay was coined from my name, Olowoyeye Kayode, while the name Megamixer was first given to me by an ecstatic caller on my radio show at Positive FM in Akure, Ondo State about seven years ago describing my mixing prowess. I initially did not take the name seriously but decided to include it to my name in 2009 at the Gombe State NYSC camp when I was privileged to play at the defunct Bank PHB sponsored event. The corps members at some points during the show started chanting Megamixer! At that point, I just fell in love with the name and decided to tag myself DJ O’Kay Megamixer. What have you achieved as a DJ? Though I have got some awards to my credit, my greatest achievement as a DJ I would say is the number of lives I have been able to touch. I have a number of protégés in the industry and I see myself a happy and fulfilled man each time I see how good these guys are doing. How long have you been DJing? I started DJing professionally in 2000 and I got into radio shows in 2002. Upcoming artists complain that DJs don’t support them. What can you say about that? If DJs don’t play their songs, who does? Good materials cannot be ignored. If your song is good, no DJ will discard it. I can speak of myself as a lover of good music and will stop at nothing to promote any good song that comes my way. What’s the biggest show you’ve played? I believe that a DJ is as good as his last performance. I see every show as big. I therefore give equal preparation and delivery to all my shows. One bad outing is just enough to destroy years of hard work. How challenging is it to be a DJ? Being a DJ is fun for me. How best do you describe a job that pays your bills and you enjoy doing? Once you are a DJ for the right reasons, the few challenges that might come your way will be seen as a stepping stone and not a stumbling block. Why did you become a DJ and not some other thing? My choice of becoming a DJ is just a matter of being driven by the art. I did not become a DJ by accident, for money or fame. It was a well-thought-of plan. Money and fame will definitely trail you, once you are good at what you do. I have always loved playing music not just for myself but for people around me. From way back, I hardly listened to music with my headphone on. I would want people around me to have a feel of the song I loved. What’s unique about you as a DJ? Honestly, I believe the word ‘unique’ is exclusive to God. He is the only one that is incomparable. As for me as a DJ, my ability to read my audience, play the songs that suit the moment and get them grooving till they can dance no more stand me out from the pack. I leave my audience to rate me and so far so good, I have been adjudged to be a DJ that knows his onions.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1