The Newell Murder serialization continues 5


Lauren pushed her strange behavior out of his mind and sighed with relief. $3,000. He had been thinking it would be something like $10,000. He didn’t have that kind of money, though that wouldn’t have stopped him buying it still. But $3,000 …

“I’ve my credit card here with me. You don’t think people lug such amounts around in cash, do you?”

“Some actually pay cash, sir, for even larger amounts, so we’re receptive to all payment forms,” she put him in the clear.

Lauren rolled his eyes. “Well, I’m not those.” He brought out his card holder from his inside jacket pocket and drew out the Horizon’s credit card, which all the staff had, from it. He flipped it onto the table before her.

She picked it up, scrutinised it, and it seemed to Lauren there was a flicker of recognition in her eyes, but you could never tell with this strange broad and her antics. “I hope you understand that I’ll have to confirm its viability.”

“Go ahead.”

There was a white telephone on the table. On it, she punched the card’s call number. She was soon talking into the mouthpiece and then receiving the clearance she was after from a voice at the other end. When she returned the receiver to its cradle, she wrote the particulars of the card and the painting’s name into a leather-bound ledger with a Waterman pen.

She gave the card back to Lauren. “Would you like us to deliver it or you would rather take it with you now?” 

“How long will it take you to get it to me?”

“By noon tomorrow at the latest.”

“I won’t be home then.”

“It can be dropped for you. With someone at your home, or your building manager, someone you recommend.”

“I think I’ll just haul it along with me instead.”

“OK, sir.”

She called the attendant, a girl whose hair was tinted yellow, and told her to get the WYF. She went off and came back with it all wrapped up in attractive paper and ribbons. He made to take it from her but she informed him she would carry it to his car for him.

“I can do that myself.”

“We spoil our customers here,” was her simple reply.


www.amazon.com/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.de/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.fr/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.it/dp/B07DMNYVS8                                                                

www.amazon.es/dp/B07DMNYVS8

www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B07DMNYVS8


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1