‘Why I’m rescuing street kids’

Oluyole (in glasses) and some of the kids

As a young child, Seyi Oluyole took refuge in dance, losing herself in its movement and music. Now, the Nollywood screenwriter and choreographer also works as a full-time dance mum to children from financially-difficult families.

CNN’s Great Big Story explored how Oluyole’s Dream Catchers Villa uses dances like afrobeat to help take children off the streets and into the classroom.

Speaking on her efforts, Olsuyole said, “The parents here don’t believe in education. They just want their kids to just sell stuff … but then I saw how much they loved dancing and how it was really changing their lives. I realised how much impact dance could be in the lives of these kids. I use my passion for dancing to help most of these kids who are from poor homes.

“When I was growing [up], I used to wish somebody had just helped me. Sometimes, I would dream that Jennifer Lopez would just come from nowhere and just pick me up. I decided that, even though I couldn’t get anyone to rescue me, I think I’m going to rescue other kids and just be that source of hope to other kids out there.”

She also disclosed that she’s trying to portray a positive image of Nigeria through dance.

“I want the world to see Africa and Nigeria in a positive way. Everything that we do I try to always relate it back to where we are from, just reminding the kids that this is who we are. We are Africans, we are Nigerians, and everybody needs to always remember that, no matter where they see us.”

Go, girl.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1