Female artists now have a voice -Azeezat

Respected female singer, Azeezat, has weighed in on the issue of why female music artists in Nigeria are not as many as they should be. Peaking candidly, she said, “Well, honestly, even in America and Europe, if you calculate the percentage of female artists compared to their male counterparts, you will know that males are also more there. I am a die-hard fan of Naija, and I don’t like it when people bring Naija down, comparing it to US, UK and saying one thing, one thing, nahhh. “As it happens here, it happens there. It is just that the scale could be higher. Number one, I wouldn’t say females don’t have a voice, compared to then. We have a voice now, strong voices that are heard. We are being heard. It could be better, because some girls allow us to be labelled as wack. I am not being judgemental, but such girls don’t do their homework well before coming out.” Touching on how she discovered her talent and rose to prominence, she said, “The journey between when I discovered my talent and Nigeria discovered me was a very long one. Then, I was in secondary school and I stared doing small, small literary and debating performances. “In higher institution, I joined a group, West Coast Family, and we did a lot of campus and club shows until we broke up after which there was a kind of a long break. During that long break, I did a lot of research and grooming for myself by rescoring international songs and trying to fit my voice into what I was hearing, and eventually it all paid off for me when I relocated to Lagos from my Abeokuta base.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1