My dream is bigger than me -Iyabo Ojo

Popular Yoruba Nollywood actress, Iyabo Ojo, has said that she has a dream that is bigger than her with regards to her Nollywood career, and she hopes to achieve it in time. “I’ve not really achieved what I want to in Nollywood,” she said. “I still have a dream that is bigger than me and I hope to achieve it in time. I'm very patient about it. Our market is not that good, piracy is really killing us. We spend a lot of money to produce movies that we don't make money from because piracy doesn't allow the marketers to buy them like they are supposed to. When you produce a movie with N2m, you're supposed to make like double that money, but at the end of the day, you don't make up to one-third of it. So that's the main problem I'm having.” And on the constant debate of English Nollywood is better than Yoruba Nollywood, she said, “No. Never. The English sector is definitely not better than the Yoruba. Yes, the English sector might be preferred because we do Yoruba and they do English that cuts across every other language, Hausa, Ibo, Efik. “But we are promoting our own dialect. And I assure you it's more difficult to act in Yoruba because English is a general language that you can speak easily while it's not easy to speak Yoruba because it’s deep, broad and wide. “So I don't believe they are superior to us because we're also comfortable. Not everybody is doing well here but not everybody is doing well over there too. Yoruba movies have stepped up. We shoot with a lot of glamour now. The only difference is the language. Different people, Ibo, Hausa, Calabar even tell me that they appreciate watching Yoruba movies because it’s our own thing.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Newell Murder serialization 1